The award, which will be given during the NPA’s annual convention in June, recognizes an individual who has made long-time contributions to the natural products industry. The NPA noted the breadth and depth of Dr. Murray’s accomplishments, including:
- Playing an instrumental role in bringing to North America many safe and effective natural products, including glucosamine sulfate, Ginkgo biloba extract, PGX and PharmaGABA
- Director of product development and education for Natural Factors, a manufacturer of nutritional and herbal supplements
- President and CEO of Dr. Murray Natural Living Inc.
- Former faculty member and current member of the Board of Regents of Bastyr University
- Coauthor of A Textbook of Natural Medicine, the definitive textbook on naturopathic medicine for physicians, as well as the consumer version, the Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
- Best-selling author of more than 20 other books, including Dr. Murray’s Total Body Tune-Up, The Pill Book Guide to Natural Medicines, The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, and his latest book, What the Drug Companies Won’t Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn’t Know
The Natural Products Association is a nonprofit group of individuals and companies that advocates for the rights of consumers to have access to products that will maintain and improve their health. It leads grassroots lobbying efforts in Washington, D.C. and nationwide, and issues the NPA Natural Seal, a rigorous certification process for natural personal care and home care products.
Previous NPA President’s Award winners include Jeffrey Bland, PhD, former professor of biochemistry at the University of Puget Sound and a previous director of nutritional research at the Linus Pauling Institute of Science and Medicine; Earl Mindell, PhD, best-selling author of the Vitamin Bible and other books; Richard Passwater, PhD, a pioneer in antioxidant and selenium research; and exercise guru Jack LaLanne.
For more information on the Natural Products Association, go to www.npainfo.org.