COVID in India
In case you are not aware, something really interesting happened in India. COVID case counts, hospitalizations, and death counts have plummeted.2 Herd immunity appears to have been achieved, especially in the major urban areas. What is going on?
Here is my thought. The Indian population is used to having their immune system challenged. What we are learning about COVID is that speed and strength of the initial immune response is critical to winning the fight against SARS-CoV-2.
Recommendations if Opting for the Vaccine
If you opt to get the vaccine, here are some recommendations to reduce the risks for side effects and also to enhance the vaccine’s effectiveness:
- A high potency multiple vitamin and mineral formula providing at least 100% RDI.
- Vitamin A (retinol) – 3,000 mcg (10,000 IU) per day for men and 1,500 mcg (5,000 IU) per day for women.
- Vitamin D – 2,000-4,000 IU per day
- Vitamin C – 500 mg twice per day
- Zinc – 20 to 30 mg per day for men and 15 to 20 mg per day for women.
- Selenium – 100 to 200 mcg per day (preferably as SelenoExcell).
- N-Acetylcysteine – 600 mg twice per day.
- Quercetin LipoMicel Matrix – 500 mg per day.
- Melatonin: 3 to 5 mg at night
These are the same recommendations for supporting your immune system during the pandemic. There is data to support many of these nutrients in enhancing vaccine effectiveness. I will delve into this data more extensively in an upcoming webinar.
For now, be proactive, protect yourself, feed your immune system the support it needs.
Dr. Michael T. Murray
P.S., this week iHerb is once again offering its Immune 4 on trial with a 30 day supply for only $1. If you have not previously taken advantage of this offer, I urge you to do so. If you have, please pass it on. It is a great bargain.
- De Smet D, De Smet K, Herroelen P, Gryspeerdt S, Martens GA. Serum 25(OH)D Level on Hospital Admission Associated With COVID-19 Stage and Mortality. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021 Feb 11;155(3):381-388.
- Biswas S. Coronavirus: Is the epidemic finally coming to an end in India? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56037565
- Thomas S, Patel D, Bittel B, et al. Effect of High-Dose Zinc and Ascorbic Acid Supplementation vs Usual Care on Symptom Length and Reduction Among Ambulatory Patients With SARS-CoV-2 Infection: The COVID A to Z Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Feb 1;4(2):e210369.